A Danish company, RoboBraille provides (free to all non-commercial users) a conversion service by email. You send them files in plain text, rich text, html or Word by e-mail and then shortly you receive back your information as an MP3 audio file or as electronic Braille.
Electronic Braille “can be read by a tactile display – a device connected to the computer with a series of pins that are raised or lowered to represent the Braille characters – or sent to a Braille printer”. The following can currently be done:
- Translate documents into contracted Braille
- Translate documents into speech
- Translate text into visual Braille
- Convert text documents between different character sets
- Convert Braille documents to specific Braille character sets
- Partition documents into smaller parts
Shortly about to add PDF document conversion, the company currently processes about 400 conversions a day, but can handle 14,000. Take a look for free conversion to braille.