Our friends at Nigel’s Eco Store have sent some suggestions on how to have an environmentally friendly Valentine’s Day.
• Make your own card or support a local artist who hand makes cards from recycled materials.
• Give your loved one a locally-grown plant! Bouquets in florists’ windows have usually been grown on the other side of the world, have been transported thousands of miles and are covered in pesticides. Choose a locally-grown bouquet or plant instead.
• Celebrate with organic wine or champagne.
• For indulgence with a conscience give organic or fair trade chocolates to your loved one.
• If you are splashing out on jewellery how about something fair trade, recycled or vintage?
• Give organic, or hemp lingerie for your lover instead of pesticide-sprayed cotton or non biodegradable polyester.
• Save energy and dine by romantic candlelight. It’s more romantic and you’ll save energy too! Use natural, beeswax or vegetable based candles that biodegradable and are smoke-free.
• Make a meal at home – source local, organic, seasonal produce and add the ingredient of love to a meal especially created for the man or woman of your dreams.