Smart Totes provided us with a cool zebra patterned reusable bag. Produce by Earthchic are based in Mobile, Alabama,and run by Sallye Irvine and Claire Leaman. Their bags are made from 100% recycled plastic bottles.
A good size at 18″x15″x7″ and with 21″ handles the bag is useful not only for groceries but for carrying school books of folders around, up to 50lbs worth. It has an interior pocket and is also machine washable (on cold) and you can just hang it outside to dry.
Earthchic also provide these tips for when you’re at the grocery store:
- Use a reusable bag (buy more if you are a big shopper) instead of plastic or paper – much more fashionable and easier to carry as well! Those plastic bags will never end up in a landfill if you don’t take them in the first place.
- Don’t take those little plastic produce bags unless absolutely necessary. If you are buying small, numerous items like cherries or beans you probably need one; if you are buying anything else that has its own peel or will be washed, you don’t.
- Select products in readily recyclable materials such as cardboard, aluminum and #1 and #2 plastics.
- Try to cut down on single-use, individually-wrapped or disposable products such as juice boxes, cups, plates, razors etc. Buy the permanent versions instead they are usually much nicer and last much, much longer.
- Purchase eggs in cardboard containers not styrofoam. Styrofoam doesn’t biodegrade- it lasts forever.
Available for only $29 from Smart Totes, with different versions available.