I like getting press releases and corporate information sent to me, it helps me keep up to date. We get a LOT of it sent to us, and whilst they all are promotional, some are actually useful as well. Like this piece of information – Jiffy Lube have a list of driving tips that will help keep your vehicle’s gas/fuel bill down. Making small modifications to your driving habits can reduce the amount of fuel your vehicle burns and that’s not only good for the planet, but for your wallet too.
- Keep it steady: Use cruise control and overdrive to maintain a consistent speed, and observe the speed limit to keep your vehicle moving at a steady pace, according to The Department of Energy (DOE).
- No more stop and go: Avoid aggressive driving including speeding and rapid acceleration and braking for better fuel efficiency.
- Junk in the trunk: Remove non-critical items from your trunk or truck bed to lighten your load, reducing the amount of fuel you burn. The DOE reports an extra 100 lbs in the trunk reduces a typical car’s fuel economy by 1-2 percent.
- Breathe easy: As the vehicle’s lung, a clogged air filter will reduce the amount of air getting to the engine, thus reducing the engine’s ability to work properly. According to the DOE, replacing your vehicle’s motor oil with the recommended grade and viscosity can improve gas mileage by one to two percent
- Stay pumped: Under-inflated tires result in more rubber hitting the road. The DOE reports keeping a vehicle’s tires inflated to the proper pressure can improve gas mileage by around 3.3 percent.
- Make the grade: Check your vehicle owner’s manual to ensure you’re using the recommended grade of motor oil. According to the DOE, replacing your vehicle’s motor oil with the recommended grade and viscosity can improve gas mileage by one to two percent.
- Get checked: Visit Jiffy Lube for fee Fuel Efficiency Review. Go to http://Locations.JiffyLube.com to find a service center in your area.